I was having a conversation with someone this morning, who told me that they handed in their notice at work, because they had enough of being there. They are very passionate about starting their own business, but felt that being in work was taking their time away from working on their business.
I was in complete shock and horror, when they shared this with me, because this is 100% against what I teach my clients. I appreciate their reasoning and their decision, but I would never be in support of it, or work with a client who has sacked their boss, without first laying down the foundations of having a sustainable business for a number of reasons.
You’re asking for trouble If you leave your job without being financially secure, because you are more than likely to attract the wrong kind of clients to pay for your services. You also would be more willing to except anybody, rather than turn them away because they are not a good fit. Attracting the wrong type of clients, could end up being more of a problem then an asset to you in the long run.
1) If you leave your 9-5 job prematurely, you don’t have solid evidence to confirm that you have a viable business that people are willing to pay for. You could end up hustling unnecessary and then get frustrated because you keep hitting your head against a brick wall.
2) You need to build relationships with people and add value to their life before they will part with their hand earned cash. If you haven’t built up a strong network of people who are happy to even recommend your services to others, you are setting yourself up to fail.
3) The biggest challenge that most start-up face is not clearly identifying who their ideal client are and whether they are willing to pay for their services. They also struggle with knowing where to locate them. If you quit your 9-5 without carrying out adequate research about who your ideal clients are, you will become stuck, guaranteed.
4) It’s all fair and good having the idea in your head about wanting to have a viable business. But if you haven’t taken the time to write down your business vision, supported with evidence that there is a genuine need for what you are offering, alongside the action steps you will need to take, how do you intend on making your business a success?
5) Running a business is not for everyone, it takes a lot of hard work, sacrifice and determination. The stats are still showing that many businesses don’t last after 3 years. There are many reasons why this happens. But I definitely believe a lack of planning, inadequate research and leaving without a minimum of 6 months business revenue definitely plays a massive part in business failure.
Working in a job that you hate and feel unfulfilled in, could potentially be used to your advantaged. Your time is obviously limited whilst in your 9-5. But staying there will enable you to prioritise your business goals more effectively. Working on your business whilst stuck in your 9-5 job, will develop so many skills that you never even knew that you had. Developing these skills, will help you to transition into your business more smoothly.
As stated above, I would never recommend anybody to leave their job without being financially secure. Lack of finances just adds to the pressure of being a creative entrepreneur. My encouragement to you today would be to stay in your job until you have generated enough capital to sack your boss financially secure.
Are you stuck in your 9-5 job, whilst developing your business on the side? Have you come to a crossroad where you are tempted to walk out of your job prematurely? Are you feeling overwhelmed with a number of tasks that you need to work on and are unclear on what your next step should be? Then book your free 45 minutes discovery call today and get the clarity you need to grow your business in the direction that it needs. So that you can ditch your 9-5 job financially secure.
I look forward to hearing from you.
like the Facebook page for more tips and inspiration
I'm the Sack Your Boss Strategist. I help professional women just like you who are stuck, frustrated and feeling unfulfilled in their corporate 9-5 role, to sack their boss and launch the business they truly love.